Heat Transfer in Process Engineering Multiple Choice Tests - Set 09 - ObjectiveBooks

Heat Transfer in Process Engineering Multiple Choice Tests - Set 09

Practice Test: Question Set - 09

1. What is the geometric mean of two heat transfer areas A1 and A2?
    (A) √(A1 . A2)
    (B) √(A1 + A2)
    (C) ½ √(A1 . A2)
    (D) 2 √(A1 . A2)

2. The range of electromagnetic spectrum important in heat transfer by radiation is __________ microns.
    (A) 0.38-0.78
    (B) 0.5-50
    (C) 100-1000
    (D) 5-50

3. Stefan's block body radiation law can also be derived from __________ law.
    (A) Kirchoff’s
    (B) Planck's
    (C) Fourier's
    (D) None of these

4. Boiling point of a solution according to Duhring's rule is a linear function of the __________ of water.
    (A) Boiling point (at the same pressure)
    (B) Viscosity
    (C) Density
    (D) Thermal conductivity

5. Sensible heat absorbed by 1 lb of water when it is heated from 32 to 212°F may be around __________ BTU.
    (A) 180
    (B) 970
    (C) 3.97
    (D) Data insufficient, can't be predicted

6. Prandtl number for most of dry gases is about
    (A) 0.001
    (B) 0.72
    (C) 70
    (D) 150

7. Pick out the wrong statement.
    (A) The emissivity of a surface decreases, if it gets corroded by atmospheric environment
    (B) The emissivity of a surface increases with increase in surface roughness
    (C) The emissivity of a polished surface is quite low
    (D) The emissivity of a non-metallic surface decreases with increase in the temperature

8. Extremely large or small volumes of fluids are generally best routed through the shell side of a shell and tube heat exchanger, because of the
    (A) Less corrosion problems
    (B) Flexibility possible in the baffle arrangement
    (C) Low pressure drop
    (D) High heat transfer co-efficient

9. Fresh orange juice contains 12% (by weight) solids and the rest water 90% of the fresh juice is sent to an evaporator to remove water and subsequently mixed with the remaining 10% of fresh juice. The resultant product contains 40% solids. The kg of water removed from 1 kg fresh juice is
    (A) 0.4
    (B) 0.5
    (C) 0.6
    (D) 0.7

10. The purpose of providing expansion bellows in the shell of tubular exchanger is to
    (A) Increase the heating load
    (B) Impart structural strength
    (C) Account for the uneven expansion of shell and tube bundles
    (D) Facilitate increase of shell length, if needed

11. An equipment which converts the latent or sensible heat of one fluid into the latent heat of vaporization of another, is called a
    (A) Boiler
    (B) Heat exchanger
    (C) Recuperator
    (D) Regenerator

12. Multipass heat exchangers are used
    (A) Because of simplicity of fabrication
    (B) For low heat load
    (C) To obtain higher heat transfer co-efficient and shorter tube
    (D) To reduce the pressure drop

13. A black body does not __________ radiation.
    (A) Absorb or emit
    (B) Refract
    (C) Reflect
    (D) Both (b) & (c)

14. It is not recommended to use a 1-2 shell and tube heat exchanger for a particular heat duty, whenever the LMTD correction factor is
    (A) > 0.75
    (B) < 0.75
    (C) < 0.50
    (D) < 0.25

15. Multiple effect evaporation accounts for
    (A) Steam economy
    (B) Lower operating costs
    (C) Investment economy
    (D) None of these

Show and hide multiple DIV using JavaScript View All Answers

 Next Tests: